- Rest of World
|Santos’ Neymar quashes Barcelona links|
Santos star Neymar has emphatically denied rumours that a deal has been struck between his club and Spain’s Barcelona that will see him move to the Nou Camp.
Following the Club World Cup final which saw Neymar’s Santos comprehensively defeated by the European champions, it was reported that a deal had been agreed that gave Barcelona first-option to buy the highly rated Brazilian.
But, Neymar has steadfastly denied the speculation as he again made it clear that his future lies with the Vila Belmiro outfit who he recently signed a new contract with that does not expire until 2014.
"Not even five months ago I signed a new contract. I have just said I am staying here until 2014. And this has come back!" he told reporters during a charity match in the Brazilian city of Salvador.
In the past Neymar has also been linked with Barcelona’s arch rivals Real Madrid while it has been mentioned that England’s Chelsea are also keen on landing the Brazilian.
Neymar then again reflected on his side’s 4-0 drubbing by Barcelona in last Sunday’s final of the Club World Cup, noting that he hopes his side can learn from the experience to become a better side.
"I had a massive challenge against Barcelona, which unfortunately did not go well. I am learning a lot in my life. I hope that we can take away a lesson from there, to be always training hard, wanting and looking for more," he stated.
Last season Neymar played a starring role for Santos as they went on to claim the Copa Liberadores for the first time since Pele inspired the Brazilian club to the title back in 1963.